When problems are encountered with teenagers or children, asking them ‘what’s wrong’ rarely results in a straightforward answer. The best you can sometimes expect is ‘I dunno’ and a shrug of the shoulders. Frequently adolescents really don’t know what is wrong, or perhaps it’s simply that they don’t know how to express what is wrong? There are so many reasons why a child or teenager feels unhappy, sad, lonely, upset, guilty, embarrassed, anxious or stressed, such as:
- lack of confidence/performance anxieties
- concerns about changes in their bodies
- problems in school, with studies, teachers or peers
- phobias, i.e. fear of the dark, going to sleep, doctors, dentists, needles etc.
- embarrassment of habits such as bed-wetting or thumb sucking
- a new baby or parental relationship problems
Some of the signs indicating anxiety could be:
- consistent health or food control issues
- lying or stealing, drugs or alcohol
- trouble sleeping, frequent nightmares or sleep walking
Children can respond particularly well to hypnosis as long as they are happy to work with me to change, and as long as they perceive there is a problem which they wish to have solved.
Relaxation and breathing exercises can help reduce anxiety or stress along with a corresponding increase in self-esteem.
I strongly suggest an Initial Consultation with the parent(s) first to discuss the child’s issues, as it’s important that you understand how change comes about.